Daniel and Dave Discuss Every Episode of DGL

A weekly podcast in which Daniel Gray and Dave Brown talk about a specific episode of the hit family radio drama Down Gilead Lane.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

S-8a "Spring Broke, 1"

Happy Spring Break, everyone! DGL is observing this not-so-important holiday by playing the two-part special "Spring Broke" (s-8 [special 8], episodes 57-58). Take a listen to the Morrison family vacationing in Washington, D.C. and see what you think!
  • Have you ever visited Washington, D.C.? If so, does the depiction of the Morrison's sightseeing ring true? If not, does it make you want to visit the city?
  • Do you think the Morrisons are "in character" in this episode?
  • Do you find that this show presents a relatable portrayal of helping others and being a missionary wherever you go?
We'll be recording a separate podcast for each part of this special, so if you'd rather wait until both parts have aired to comment then that's fine. However, if you want to comment on just part one we need your review by noon Monday. :-)

6 comments:

  1. I have been to Washington D.C. a couple of times. The depiction of the Morrison's sightseeing is very true.
    I think Brooke was kind of whiny in the beginning scene because she did not get to go on her missions trip, but she improved as the episode continued. The rest of the Morrisons were in character, especially Mary when she helped Mrs. Vaughn with the baby.
    This is a very good episode. It has been a while since I listened to it so I had forgotten how good it was. 4.5/5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never visited Washington DC. I thought it would be interesting to go there a long time ago, except now I'd rather go to the beach or shopping like Haley. I think that the amusement park would be really cool to go to though. I like roller coasters. I once tried to plan out every minute of my trip like Justin was doing and it didn't work out.
    I think the Morrisons are in character in this episode. Brooke was all "wanting to be a missionaryish", Justin was overplanny, Mikey was cool and fun, Haley was interested in shopping and tanning, and Timmy was all little kiddish. Seems pretty in character to me.
    I think that this show does present a relatable portrayal somewhat- like the helping the mom with a baby one the plane was relatable. Except I rarely find myself on airplanes with screaming babies. (I don't really like babies though. But I did meet this almost perfect baby a couple weeks ago. That baby didn't cry the whole time I was holding it.) But yes it did bring across the message of being a missionary wherever you go. Except there was another episode that did a better job of that message. The one where Timmy wanted to be a Fish Vet, except then he "had to be a missionary" cause of what Haley said, but then they explained that he could be a missionary wherever he was and how John's a missionary in the courtroom etc. And then he was singing "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine". That one was better in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be doing my review when part two comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops it's afternoon... why did you need it by noon today? Oh well I'll just wait for part 2

    ReplyDelete
  5. We almost always record early afternoon on Monday, Brendon. Sometimes I forget to mention that we need them by then in my post requesting reviews, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just thought I'd say that I don't talk that fast so you don't really need to rush through my reviews.

    ReplyDelete