Daniel and Dave Discuss Every Episode of DGL

A weekly podcast in which Daniel Gray and Dave Brown talk about a specific episode of the hit family radio drama Down Gilead Lane.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

"Hats Off! The Flag Goes By!"

Haley's not in the mood for such sentimentality this week on DGL. Listen and find out why in "Stars and Gripes." After you've listened, send us your thoughts on this episode celebrating patriotism and citizenship!
  • Do you think Haley's frustration with "the government" and "America" is justifiable? Does her "anti-American kick" get annoying?
  • Is Tiffany's attitude toward "public religion" common? Do you like seeing her antagonism toward Justin and Lauren at the paper in each episode?
  • Did you appreciate the insights on prayer and the role of citizens? How were these lessons demonstrated in this episode by some of the characters?
  • Do you like the final scene at the Community Picnic? Do you think ending with the song is a good conclusion to the conflict and teaching of the episode?
And if you're wanting to write more about the show, here's even more questions (these ones a bit more on the light-hearted side):
  • Do you agree with Tiffany that it's "dorky" for Justin to have a coin collection?
  • What kind of flowers do you think Mrs. Morrison planted?
  • Do you think "God Bless America" would make a better national anthem than "The Star-Spangled Banner?
And if you feel up to a challenge, you could apply II Chronicles 7:14-22 and Proverbs 14:34 (and any other appropriate verses that come to mind) to the theme of this episode. Whatever you write in relation to this show, please get it to us by 3PM on Wednesday. We love reading (and playing) your thoughts on each DGL episode, so give us lots of fan opinion this week!

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite episodes and I'm thrilled that it fell on Labor Day Weekend. I've always wondered what holiday this is supposed to take place during and what the original broadcast date was. I bought this episode off the internet on a single CD, so I never heard it in context with the season before. Most of our patriotic holidays occur during the summer, so it is interesting that this one takes place when the kids are in school. Many communities celebrate Labor Day as a patriotic event and with community picnics, so it could fit.

    Now for the episode review itself. Haley's frustration is an attitude that is represented by many especially during hard times. It is easy to blame the government when things are not going well. Tiffany's attitude is also well displayed. There are many who think nothing religious belongs in the schools. When I was in elementary school in the 1970's, we began with prayer, a thought for the day, and then announcements. By the time I finished school, it was banned. I think John's summary was perfect. We cannot expect our government to teach our children values, that begins in the home. I LOVED the ending at the community picnic! A perfect ending to a great episode! We listen to it at all the patriotic holiday times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like this episode. Haley is extremely annoying in this episode! I think I dislike the episode because she's in it. Without her scenes it would be a pretty good episode.
    Her attitude is sort of common. From what I see though it's not usually that extreme in kids her age.
    The lesson that they were presenting was a good one.
    (I fell asleep during the ending, so I can't comment.)
    I have a money collection, but it's in the bank, not in coins. I don't collect coins, but whenever I have special quarters I feel bad spending them because they're pretty.
    I hope she planted tiger lilies or sweet peas.
    I don't know.

    It was a good lesson but I just don't really like the show.

    Also, whenever I don't know a substitute teacher's name I say "teacher!" like Haley did, and it works out well.
    6/10

    ReplyDelete